Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 pound fresh shiitake or oyster mushrooms
4 cups chicken broth or stock
1/2-3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup diced onion
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp Roasted Garlic Mustard
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp dried thyme
Chopped parsley to finish
Salt and course ground pepper to taste
- Slice mushrooms. Cut larger slices into bite size pieces.
- In a large pan add 1 cup of the chicken broth. Simmer mushrooms on medium heat until soft. Pour simmered mushrooms and any liquid into a bowl and set aside
- In the same pan, heat butter until melted. Add diced onion and sauté on medium low heat until soft and transparent. Add minced garlic and continue to sauté for another few minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove half of the mushrooms. Chop or pulse in food processor until minced consistency.
- Add minced mushrooms and the remaining sliced mushrooms with any liquid back into the pan. Add white wine and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms. Stir in and continue cooking for another 2 minutes
- Add 3 cups chicken broth. Stirring occasionally, cook until just boiling. Liquids will thicken.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and roasted garlic mustard. Continue to cook for 5 minutes. Do not boil.
- Season with salt and course pepper to taste.
- Mix in chopped parsley